So we’ve been in the early planning stages for our next video (so super fun). I’ve been talking to one of my oldest friends about helping/teaching me to make something and be in our next little project. He’s definitely on board (yay!!). But, when we are all available to get together and spend the day cooking is becoming quite a challenge . We’ve discussed some different recipes but haven’t made a decision yet. A week or so ago he mentioned ribs…and that’s all it took for me to start craving ribs. Two of my greatest friends annnd my boyfriend all make the most incredible ribs (seriously incredible)! All of them completely different! All of them AMAZING. I’m a huge rib fan, I’ve tried tons of ribs from all different spots around Toronto. The best ones I have eaten are theirs. These ones are from Chris’s recipe collection and has become a summertime staple for us. We’ve made them for just us and for wonderful big group gatherings, they are so great! Personally…I can’t make ribs. I’m not really “there” yet. I don’t like the raw meat thing, like touching it, ….oh! and I never ever would ever remove the rib stuff. Although I have just recently found out you can ask the butcher to do this, which makes me far more comfortable. So when I’m finally feel ready to do the entire rib thing on my own, I can at least get help with the grossest part. I now know how to make them, and I can be very helpful mixing the spices for the rub and will even brush on the BBQ sauce if asked.
I’m so happy summer is around the corner. My favorite thing ever is sitting with Chris outside after work with a beer, a glass of wine or coffee, chatting about our day with the BBQ smoking in the background (after dinner we will sit out there long after the sun goes down soaking up every minute of summer we can). Sadly, it was pretty grey, chilly and cloudy and we were not able to hang outside, but soon!
So here you go…The first of hopefully many rib recipes:
2 racks of ribs
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste
1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (depending on how saucy you like’em)
- Preheat a gas grill for 250 -300° heat, or arrange charcoal briquettes on one side of the barbeque.
- UGH!!! Trim the membrane from the back of each rack. Run a small, sharp knife between the membrane and each rib, and snip off the membrane as much as possible…I am TOTALLY UNABLE TO DO THIS… Its so gnarly yuck. yuck. yuck.
- Combine cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. in small bowl or jar.
- Sprinkle as much of the rub onto both sides of the ribs as desired. **Do not thoroughly rub the spices into the ribs.
- Store the unused portion of the spice mix for future use.
- Place aluminum foil on lower rack. Lay the ribs on the top rack of the grill (away from the coals, if you’re using briquettes). close lid, and leave undisturbed for 2 1/2 hours.
- Brush ribs with your favorite barbecue sauce, and grill an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve ribs as whole rack, or cut between each rib bone and pile individually
Thanks for sharing your rib secrets babe!! I love you XOXOX
I’m so excited about this post! Not only was the apple crisp PERFECT the recipe for the crisp topping was from my amazing bestest best friend ( http://www.ibbyandpop.com/blog/ ) and my crazy awesome boyfriend made the most beautiful video ever! I love it so much I could cry.
- 5 apples (peeled and cut)
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 butter, cubed and softened
*Note from ibby : If you prefer a higher fruit to crisp ratio, cut the topping ingredients in half.
Heat oven to 350. Pour the apple mixture into a greased baking dish. In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, salt and butter with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture and bake for 30 min. Remove from oven and serve.
*original recipe: http://www.ibbyandpop.com/blog/2013/02/verry-berry-crisp.html
THANK YOU MY LOVE, The video is so perfect & beautiful! I LOVE YOU XOXO