This was the most perfect spring weekend. Chris was painting all Saturday so I spent the entire day blasting music, planting herbs, wild flowers and vegetables in our plant pots. It was amazing and super relaxing. When Chris came home that evening we drank our first beers outside on our deck! Summer is almost here, I can’t wait!
Sunday morning I woke up pretty early and started my Sunday post project! Whole wheat waffles topped with honey and marscapone cheese. I was just done the mixing when Chris woke up. He whipped up some scrambled eggs to add to our breakfast feast and it was perfect. In a couple more weeks stawberries will be in season and I can’t wait to pile them on top of these waffles! The waffles smell amazing and taste great! perfectly flavored with cinnamon, you almost forget they are whole wheat (almost)!. After breakfast we headed back outside to finish our 2nd (or third) coffee’s of the day! It’s hard to have a bad day with the sun flooding in through the open windows and a belly full of waffles.
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice (I don’t remember why I read to add this…has something to do with the whole wheat flour)
- pinch of black pepper (I heard this brings out the cinnamon flavor…I did do it, I dunno if it made any difference. I definatly didn’t taste the pepper. So I guess it’s worth a try)
- Combine milk, eggs, melted butter and honey and mix
- In a seperate bowl mix in flour, baking powder, salt, sugar , cinnamon
- Slowly add wet ingredients to flour mixture until well mixed
- add orange juice
- Pop in fridge for 15min -1hr ( I usually put batter into a juice pitcher. It helps to pour it on the waffle iron with a little less mess) before putting it in fridge
- Preheat waffle iron.
- 1/3 cup marscapone cheese
- 2 tsp milk
- a drizzle of honey (depending on how sweet you’d like the topping to be)
- mix it all up in a little bowl
- put it in fridge till your waffles are on the table